Saturday, November 1, 2008

Watching Altered states of teens.

I try to learn from a wise and suddenly experienced new friend, Sharyn.
Although I have nothing so emotional to compare to as her tragedy of her son Caleb's accident, much of her agony I share by simply being the mother of a teenage daughter. It is also like living with a new person daily. I try to cope, to understand, to accept, to protect, to help...but am often met with a blank stare, wide smile, demands or outright hostility. I never know what to expect and I mourn for the little princess she used to be. I miss our closeness, and hope her altered state of being too will pass. Our house is overrun with kids coming and going... a safe place to hang out, her friends up from Fleet visiting for weekends, a few kids turning into large parties, large groups of co-ed sleepovers, a new boyfriend, and I'm now counting my beers and holding tight to my wine while wondering how liberal I can continue to be while the teens take life fast and run. I struggle as many have and many will.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

Just hold in your mind the picture of who it is she will become..even picture yourselves, mother and daughter talking and laughing and sharing an intamacy that most all mothers want..and she will grow into that before you know it. But enjoy this breaking away - it means she trusts enough in your love to step away to find herself. You are an exceptional mother.
Any chance of firing some clay? we have lots of fishes!